Managers in 24/7 workplaces often face high levels of absenteeism, turnover, injuries and health costs.
In an effort to address these issues they may provide education for the shiftworkers on how to sleep better and reduce fatigue. This is a strategy that provides significant benefits.
However, this strategy is only one step towards achieving the goal.
Shiftworkers may have learned how to maximize their sleep. But their shift schedule does not allow sufficient rest time between shifts. Or they are required to work an inordinate amount of overtime.
They may, therefore, not be able to get the sleep they need but through no fault of their own.
To truly improve health and safety and reduce absenteeism, turnover, injuries and health costs managers must implement human resources and operational policies that support shiftworkers.
In order to create a high-performing 24/7 shiftwork workplace where shiftworkers thrive and performance is optimised a number of different factors must be considered.
How does your workplace rate?
Alert@Work helps human resource and operational managers implement human resources and operational policies that support shiftworkers.
Managing ‘Round the Clock
In this presentation participants learn to plan schedules and implement human resource and operational policies that promote well-being and enhance performance in shift work environments.
Seminar Goal: to enhance the health and well-being of shift workers by developing appropriate self-care strategies. Participants in this session will be able to
- Explain how sleep patterns are disrupted
- Enhance the quantity and quality of their sleep
- Plan schedule transitions
- Plan sleep schedules
- Make appropriate eating choices while on shift
- Determine individual adaptability for various sleep and work schedules
- Reduce mental and physical fatigue and increase alertness
- Identify other factors that influence adjustment to shift work
- Manage family life to support individual and family well-being
- Accept the challenges and benefits of a shiftwork lifestyle
Participants will learn:
- Why shift work issues are not managed
- Benefits of managing shift work issues effectively
- Requirements of OH&S regulations regarding shift work
- The consequences of shift work for workers
- Signs that workers are not adjusting well to shift work
- Why some people can adapt to shiftwork more easily than others
- Factors that influence the well-being of shift workers
- Planning and implementing education for shift workers
- How to do pre-employment screening
- How to manage employees experiencing difficulty with shift work
- How to design effective shift work schedules
- How to manage other operational issues
- When liability may result
Time Required: 6.0 hours
One’s ability to be successful with shift work involving nights is dependent on a number of factors such as appropriate self-care and family support. Most critical to success, however, is being well-adapted to the schedule one is working.
Determining this adaptability pre-employment allows for the employee to be either assigned to the most appropriate schedule or provided with the necessary education and supports for a healthy and safe outcome.
If you want to reduce absenteeism, turnover and health costs, the Pre-employment Assessment would be a valuable best-practice strategy.
If you would like to do Pre-employment Assessments, please contact us for further information.
Do you have employees who:
- are not coping well with the challenges of shift work?
- have major health problems?
- have an addiction or are dependent on a substance for sleeping and/or waking?
- are on sick leave or disability leave?
With these employees there is always a question about the extent to which shift work may be contributing to their symptoms or whether it is prudent for them to either continue with or continue with shift work.
This comprehensive assessment can help to determine the extent to which shift work may be contributing to the employee’s symptoms and whether it is prudent for them to either continue with or return to their shift work schedule. We can also recommend what other strategies may be appropriate.
If you wish to have an employee assessed, contact us for further information.
The High-Performing 24/7 Workplace Designation
Workplaces that qualify for this designation will be highlighted in traditional and social media platforms. This attention is an opportunity to showcase your organization and your efforts in creating a high-performance workplace.
This designation also
- instills pride in your workplace
- can promote retention
- serves to attract new employees
To find out if you qualify for this designation download the Shiftwork Workplace Assessment which can be found here.
See how many of the things on the Assessment you do well and which you could improve to qualify as a High-Performing 24/7 Shiftwork Workplace.