Get access to 3 health and safety courses of most interest to shiftworkers and a mobile app to support on-going learning and engagement.
Why Choose the Alert@Work ‘One Click and It’s Done’ Online Program
Shiftworkers who participate in this program will be able to:
- Sleep better, feel better and improve family life
- Promote alertness when experiencing sleepiness and fatigue
- Manage workplace relationships when faced with stress, sleep deprivation and fatigue
- Be alert and at work
Plus these added benefits for Human Resource Departments and Managers:
- No more logistical nightmares
- Control over employee training plans and schedules
- Reduced training costs compared to on-site delivery
- Access to training for current and new employees: anytime, anywhere
- Increased ROI of training
- Reduced stress and workload for managers
- Available for family members as well as employees
- Monthly reports of your employees engagement in the program
- Proof of due diligence for fatigue risk and liability
- A built-in recruitment and retention strategy
About the Program
Courses are not sequential and can be done in any order.
An annual license fee provides access to the portal. A per employee/per course fee is applicable when employees access a course.
The program is flexible. Bundle and choose courses and allow access based on your budget and your company’s priorities each year.
Choose the option that best serves your needs
Online courses only
These prices are unbelievably low compared to the costs associated with on-site training.
Just the travel costs associated with an on-site presentation would be thousands of dollars. That doesn’t account for the presenter fees which can be thousands more, especially if you need to repeat the presentations on multiple days to accommodate different crews.
And what about the time employees are off work and the overtime pay that may be required?
All this totals up to thousands of dollars that may be difficult to justify when budgets are challenged.
Resources for shiftworkers and their managers to achieve better sleep, health and safety.
Value membership offers
- access to a library of hundreds of articles, audio briefings and videos related to shiftwork, fatigue, wellness, management and sleep and sleep disorders
- weekly notification of highlighted or new articles and audio briefings
- access to information about Products for shiftworkers
- option to purchase printed resources
- option to purchase member merchandise
THRIVE membership offers additional opportunities to learn and engage including
- Expert interviews
- Shiftworker Interviews
- weekly quizzes, polls and challenges
- information sharing with other members
- Tools specially designed for shiftworkers
- a Rewards program
- resource and product discounts
- FUN activities
Course Descriptions and Details
Working ‘Round the Clock
Course Goal: to enhance the health and well-being of shift workers by developing appropriate sleep and self-care strategies.
Participants will be able to
- Explain how sleep patterns are disrupted
- Enhance the quantity and quality of their sleep
- Plan schedule transitions
- Plan sleep schedules
- Make appropriate eating choices while on shift
- Determine individual adaptability for various sleep and work schedules
- Reduce mental and physical fatigue and increase alertness
- Identify other factors that influence adjustment to shift work
- Manage family life to support individual and family well-being
- Accept the challenges and benefits of a shiftwork lifestyle
What Participants Say About This Presentation
“I’ve been a shift worker for 20 years, so I thought it would be a waste of time, but I’ve already learned more in the first hour than I thought I would learn in the whole presentation.” BP, Durango, CO
“I really found it informative. Wished I could have taken it many years ago.” Debra, Saskatoon Health Region
“Everyone that does shift work should have this information.”
The 7 modules in this course cover the following topics:
- Shiftwork Hazard – Causes and Consequences
- Choosing Survival Strategies
- Working with the Body, Not Against It
- How to Reduce Stress and Fatigue
- How to Improve Quantity and Quality of Sleep
- How to Gain the Cooperation of Your Family
- Adaptability – Who Will Survive?
Modules include a variety of learning materials providing opportunities to read, listen and engage in both reflective and learning activities. Participants are encouraged to individualize and adapt strategies that are most relevant to them.
Completing all the modules will require approximately 90 minutes.
PowerUP: Strategies to Maintain Alertness and Overcome Sleepiness
Course Goal: to provide workers with strategies to maintain alertness at work so they are safe and reduce the risk of injury
Participants will be able to
- Distinguish between sleepiness and fatigue
- Recognize when risk is highest
- Recognize impairment risk
- Choose strategies to overcome sleepiness
- Choose strategies to promote alertness
- Choose strategies to maintain alertness while driving
“It was practical and relevant to everyone.” Bev, Transit Service
The 4 modules in this course cover the following topics:
- Sleepiness, Fatigue and Impairment
- Sleepiness and Strategies to Overcome Sleepiness
- Fatigue and Strategies to Promote Alertness
- Driving: Dangers and Strategies for Safety.
Modules include a variety of learning materials providing opportunities to read, listen and engage in both reflective and learning activities.
Completing all the modules will require approximately 1 hour
Preview a PowerUP course module
Managing Relationships in the Workplace
Course Goal: to help workers manage workplace relationships when faced with stress, sleep deprivation and fatigue associated with shiftwork
Participants will learn about
- Sleep and why it’s an important health behavior
- The primary reasons for sleep deprivation in our society
- The impact of sleep deprivation on the workplace, health and relationships
- Rhe challenges associated with shiftwork
- Strategies to address a colleague who is sleepy
- The most common sleep disorders and their impact on sleep
- Appropriate interventions to help get the sleep we need.
This course includes 4 fully digitized modules which require approximately 1 hour to complete.
Meet your Course Leader
Working with organizations in the Utilities and Nuclear Power sector, Mining and Government, Carolyn Schur has been providing innovative and practical solutions to shiftworkers across Canada and the US since 1996. Carolyn combines her work experience with human resources, training management and occupational health and safety, with her consulting and training expertise in counseling, health and nutrition and sleep disorders to provide an all-encompassing solution to her courses.
- Capital Power, Edmonton
- Bruce Power, Ontario, Canada
- PG&E, San Francisco, US
- BP, Colorado, US
- AES, Oklahoma
- Keys Energy, Florida, US
- Potash Corp, Saskatoon, Canada
- New Brunswick Power, Canada
- 435 Wing Squadron, Winnipeg, Canada
- Saskatchewan Association of Health Organizations
- Saskatchewan Correctional Centres
Still not convinced this program will Lighten Your Load and Add Value to Your Organization?
Let’s be honest. It may be because this program is simply not suitable for your company.
This program is ONLY for those companies who
- Understand that a 24/7 workplace is not a 9 to 5 workplace with an extra shift
- Believe that employee health and safety are strategic priorities
- Are willing to invest in employee well-being and performance improvement.
There is something else these companies understand.
Implementing this program demonstrates due diligence and reduces the risk of potential liability associated with sleepiness and fatigue.
- Has your company considered these risks?
- What would the consequences of a sleepiness or fatigue accident or injury be?
- Who would suffer? The employee? The company? Clients?
- What would the costs be?
What if the risk of these costs and liabilities could be significantly reduced with a very small investment?
Would you be ready to act?