How the Program Works
Alert@Work is an on-line health and safety educational program that provides
Your portal includes access to 3 health and safety courses of most interest to shiftworkers.
Shiftworkers who complete the program will be able to
- Sleep better, feel better and improve family life
- Promote alertness when experiencing sleepiness and fatigue
- Manage workplace relationships when faced with stress, sleep deprivation and fatigue
Courses are not sequential and can be done in any order.
An annual license fee provides access to the program and the portal. A per employee/per course fee is applicable when employees access a course.
The program is flexible. Bundle and choose courses and allow access based on your budget and your company’s priorities each year.
Plus these added benefits for Human Resource Departments and Managers:
- No more logistical nightmares
- Control over employee training plans and schedules
- Reduced training costs compared to on-site delivery
- Access to training for current and new employees: anytime, anywhere
- Increased ROI of training
- Reduced stress and workload for managers
- Available for family members as well as employees
- Monthly reports of your employees engagement in the program
- Proof of due diligence for fatigue risk and liability
- A built-in recruitment and retention strategy
Preview a PowerUP course module
But if you want even more value, be one of the first 10 companies to register and
Launch pricing will be guaranteed for life.
That right! You will continue to receive these incredibly discounted prices for as long as you pay the annual license fee and remain actively registered in the program.
Why Are We Doing This?
A message from Carolyn Schur, Founder, Alert@Work Human Resource Services
Since 1996, I have been working with 24/7 companies across Canada and the US.
I know shiftworkers are desperately in need of health and safety education to help them Sleep Better and Feel Better and managers want to reduce absenteeism, injuries and health costs.
But I can’t tell you the number of times companies are prevented from providing this education and achieving their goals because they simply do not have the budget for on-site presentations. Or they cannot logistically manage on-site presentations for thousands of employees on different shifts or at different sites.
And sometimes when I am on-site, employees are simply too tired to benefit from the presentation.
But all these reasons notwithstanding, there is still a need for the health and safety education for shiftworkers.
So I decided to design a program that would not only make this education available to all employees, at their convenience, it would also be financially viable for companies big and small.
That’s why we’re doing this. So that all shiftworkers who need this information can get it and managers can reduce their stress and lighten their load.
Ps. I want to thank you for your confidence in the value and the benefits of this program. When you register, we will send you our Shiftwise Poster Set. This set includes 10, 11x17” posters suitable for posting in employee gathering spaces or featuring in other training sessions.
Register and pay the annual license fee and the posters will be on the way to you.
Course Descriptions and Details
Working ‘Round the Clock
Course Goal: to enhance the health and well-being of shift workers by developing appropriate sleep and self-care strategies.
Participants will be able to
- Explain how sleep patterns are disrupted
- Enhance the quantity and quality of their sleep
- Plan schedule transitions
- Plan sleep schedules
- Make appropriate eating choices while on shift
- Determine individual adaptability for various sleep and work schedules
- Reduce mental and physical fatigue and increase alertness
- Identify other factors that influence adjustment to shift work
- Manage family life to support individual and family well-being
- Accept the challenges and benefits of a shiftwork lifestyle
What Participants Say About This Presentation
“I’ve been a shift worker for 20 years, so I thought it would be a waste of time, but I’ve already learned more in the first hour than I thought I would learn in the whole presentation.” BP, Durango, CO
“I really found it informative. Wished I could have taken it many years ago.” Debra, Saskatoon Health Region
“Everyone that does shift work should have this information.”
The 7 modules in this course cover the following topics:
- Shiftwork Hazard – Causes and Consequences
- Choosing Survival Strategies
- Working with the Body, Not Against It
- How to Reduce Stress and Fatigue
- How to Improve Quantity and Quality of Sleep
- How to Gain the Cooperation of Your Family
- Adaptability – Who Will Survive?
Modules include a variety of learning materials providing opportunities to read, listen and engage in both reflective and learning activities. Participants are encouraged to individualize and adapt strategies that are most relevant to them.
Completing all the modules will require approximately 90 minutes.
PowerUP: Strategies to Maintain Alertness and Overcome Sleepiness
Course Goal: to provide workers with strategies to maintain alertness at work so they are safe and reduce the risk of injury
Participants will be able to
- Distinguish between sleepiness and fatigue
- Recognize when risk is highest
- Recognize impairment risk
- Choose strategies to overcome sleepiness
- Choose strategies to promote alertness
- Choose strategies to maintain alertness while driving
“It was practical and relevant to everyone.” Bev, Transit Service
The 4 modules in this course cover the following topics:
- Sleepiness, Fatigue and Impairment
- Sleepiness and Strategies to Overcome Sleepiness
- Fatigue and Strategies to Promote Alertness
- Driving: Dangers and Strategies for Safety.
Modules include a variety of learning materials providing opportunities to read, listen and engage in both reflective and learning activities.
Completing all the modules will require approximately 1 hour
Managing Relationships in the Workplace
Course Goal: to help workers manage workplace relationships when faced with stress, sleep deprivation and fatigue associated with shiftwork
Participants will learn about
- Sleep and why it’s an important health behavior
- The primary reasons for sleep deprivation in our society
- The impact of sleep deprivation on the workplace, health and relationships
- Rhe challenges associated with shiftwork
- Strategies to address a colleague who is sleepy
- The most common sleep disorders and their impact on sleep
- Appropriate interventions to help get the sleep we need.
This course includes 4 fully digitized modules which require approximately 1 hour to complete.
Meet your Course Leader
Working with organizations in the Utilities and Nuclear Power sector, Mining and Government, Carolyn Schur has been providing innovative and practical solutions to shiftworkers across Canada and the US since 1996. Carolyn combines her work experience with human resources, training management and occupational health and safety, with her consulting and training expertise in counseling, health and nutrition and sleep disorders to provide an all-encompassing solution to her courses.
- Capital Power, Edmonton
- Bruce Power, Ontario, Canada
- PG&E, San Francisco, US
- BP, Colorado, US
- AES, Oklahoma
- Keys Energy, Florida, US
- Potash Corp, Saskatoon, Canada
- New Brunswick Power, Canada
- 435 Wing Squadron, Winnipeg, Canada
- Saskatchewan Association of Health Organizations
- Saskatchewan Correctional Centres